background

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Umbrella skirt

So, some of my friends have been after me to "teach" them how to sew. Well, I am NOT the best seamstress, and end up winging it most of the time.  So, every once in a while i will try and post something I have made, and instructions. This skirt is really easy, and i didnt do pics while i was doing it, so bare with me! 
You will need 3/4 yard main fabric
1/4 yard belt fabric
elastic

You might have extra fabric, but i always guess!!


Measure from the waist to where you want the skirt to be. Add 3 1/2 in lenthwise for seam allowance and it gives you enough fabric at top to add your elastic. Also measure your little ones waist, i always almost double it, cause i like it to be a "puffy" or "twirly" skirt.


Cut fabric. Then sew your fabric lengthwise right sides together, you might want to serge or zigzag stitch after you straight stitch. Then for the bottom, fold over about 1/4 in iron, then fold again and stitch for your hem. At the top of the skirt fold over 1/4 in and then fold over about 2 in, allowing room to put your elastic. sew, leave about an 1 in opening so you can put your elastic in. Remember your measurement for the waist? I like to cut the elastic about 1 1/2 in shorter. Get your elastic and put it through the top, sew elastic together, then sew your opening.  Add a cute decorative stitch on the top of skirt where your elastic is to help hold elastic in,  I did 2, just my preference, totally up to you. Then with your other fabric cut for your belt. Waist measurement times 2 by 6 in. sew right sides together, leaving one end of your tube unsewn, flip right side out, iron. Now sew the last edge. YAY! You are done!

I hope I did ok explaining. If you need help let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment