background

Friday, September 6, 2013

Our decision to Homeschool

As some of you know Jake and I have decided to start a new journey in life and homeschool our kids. This decision comes after alot of thought and prayer. Since Chester was tiny we have always talked about homeschooling, but as most people do I kept saying.. I dont think I can do it, Im not smart enough, Im not dedicated enough, Im not ambitious enough and so on and so on. This summer the thought kept coming to me that I needed to do it. I called my friend Autumn and asked her about her experiences and she had alot of good things to say. I talked to a few more people and asked their opinions, and finally I went to the temple. After leaving the temple that night I knew that I had my answer and I needed to do it.

Many people have asked me why I chose to do it. I have alot of reasons. Some may agree and some may disagree with me and thats fine. Everyone should do what they think is right for their children. But, here are some of my reasons.
- All to often we hear something horrible happening in the public schools. People getting bullied, kids getting shot, stabbed. Coaches and teachers doing horrible things to kids.  Its so sad!!
- Alot of things are taught to kids that I feel my kids dont need to know.
- Alot of things that I hope to teach my kids they wont get at school.
- I want to see my kids improvement first hand.
- I like the more one on one, if they need help with something I can help them.
-These are just a few off the top of my head.

This being my first year I decided to use a curriculum that my friends use, so if I have questions or need help with something I know who to ask :)  Also, they love it which is nice!
I am using the ABEKA curriculum for spelling, history, reading, all subjects but Math. And the Mathusee for math. I have also got stuff online. There is a ton of free homeschool stuff! Its awesome!!

 I am going to try and be better about blogging good and bad with this journey! I have had alot of people wanting to know how it goes because they too have thought about it. So, I hope that my experiences can help!

I am so excited and so nervous for our journey!

-Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment